Monday 5 March 2007

I Miss..

Having friends.

I was just looking at some Myspace pictures from my friends and it made me sad.

Don't get me wrong, I am lucky in so many ways, the opportunities I have had in the last few months don't happen to everyone. However, friends are important.

I miss going on big nights out with my friends and returning in the early hours of the morning. I miss having girly chats about stupid little things. I miss being able to pick up the phone and make last minute plans.

All I have here now is Jack. I mean, if I could pick only one person to have with me it would be him (apart from you Mum, your cool too.) so I am lucky in that aspect. However, it is tough. Jack has his own life too, his own friends, his own family. It can just be lonely sometimes.

I am not complaining. Please do not think that. I have a fantastic life, friends and family who love me and an amazing Jack who is there to pick me up when I fall. I have a fantastic job and live with a wonderful family. My life really isn't bad. Sometimes it is just a little lonely.

I guess I just haven't had a great number of opportunities to make friends.

There are a couple of aupairs at the school, Austin, but he leaves the end of the month and another girl who also leaves soon.

However, I am joining a gym on Friday, so hopefully could meet a few people there.

Most of this is down to the language barrier. It is just hard to get talking to people who don't speak your language. I mean, I speak a little (very little) Dutch and most people speak a little English, I just need to get over the fear factor of speaking what I know.

Also I am starting a Dutch language course in May so will hopefully meet a few nice people there..

Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

3 comments:

Austin said...

Hey! So you heard I am leaving huh? Yeah it is definitely time! If you are interested in meeting some nice people some friends of mine from church are having a little get together for me the wek before I leave and there are some girls around your age that go to my church. Let me know if you want to go.

y.Wendy.y said...

Just hang in there...its always hard in a new culture - I don't have a LOT of friends around me....and it took a long time to make the few I have.

Practically Dutch said...

I know, it is just a little lonely at times.. on the whole i am doing good though!

P.s. Austin i would love to come!