Tuesday 20 March 2007

Men

Now, before I start this post I want to make it clear that I am not sexist. This is in no way a sexist post and therefor the content does not apply to all men. However, I would also like to add that what I am about to write would not have occured if I was a Man and the bloke involved was a woman. Woman do not do / say this sort of thing. So, I guess, that does make me a little sexist, on this topic anyway.

Saturday Evening on the Metro

As you know, Saturday evening I went into Rotterdam for mine and Jacks St Patricks Day celebration. As it happens, Jack was working so I had to make my own way into town to meet him.

So, all is good, I got the bus from Ridderkerk to Zuidplien, waited patiently for the Metro and got on.

All is still good, until I notice a group of lads leering over in my direction and muttering amongst themselves. Now I am in no way boostfull of the fact they were looking at me, infact I really wish they weren't. Anyway so they all got off the metro, all except one, who decided to come and sit opposite me. OK, so apart from the eyes trying to burn holes in me he wasn't doing anything wrong. Until a friend of his comes onboard too, sits next to him and starts the muttering all over again. By this time I am starting to get quite angry but chose not to say anything.. until he starts to talk to me that is.

To start with, I just ignored him, but he was persistant, so I told him I dont speak dutch and turned away (hoping this would shut him up.. oh how wrong was I) So he continues to tell me his English is good and asks if he can sit next to me.

The conversation went something like this..

"Can I sit next to you"

"No"

"Where are you going?"

"Whats it to you?"

"Well, I'm coming with you"

"No, I really don't think you are"

"Yes, I am, Tell me where your going"

At this point the Metro arrives at Stadhuis, my stop, so I get up to walk to the door. He walks with me, stands right up against me and continues to talk.

"Tell me where you are going, I am coming too, I like English girls"

"Can you please just step away from me?"

"Why? What is wrong?"
"Look, I asked you to leave me alone, now will you please just do that?"

"I am coming out with you"

"Just F**k off and leave me alone!" (Sorry Mum)

At this point the doors open to the station, me presuming I am OK now, until he starts to walk off the Metro with me and follow towards the escalators, By this point I am quite convinced that actually, he is coming with me. Until he turns back towards the Metro that is. Phew! That was a tad scary.

OK, I have a question. Why is it that people (I am careful to use the word 'people' and not 'men') think it is OK to invade someones privacy and personal space like that? I want to make it clear that I was not dressed like a hooker, and even if I was, they still do not have the right to talk to me the way they did. Nothing they said was particularly suggestive or aggressive. However, it was intimidating.

You know, there is nothing wrong with talking to a girl, even chatting her up, but No means No right? No matter what the question? But hang on, sorry, there was no question! "would you mind if we joined you this evening" is close to acceptable, but ''I am coming with you'' I would say is a little threatening? Agree?

1 comment:

thethinker said...

You are entitled to some respect and he certainly didn't give you any by trying to force himself on you. I hope that's not how he attempts to get girlfriends. If so, I'd guess he's not very successful at it.