Thursday 8 March 2007

Yesterday got me thinking.

Last night I had a lengthy conversation with Ineke about accents and the way in which people (of all ages) present themselves with the way they speak.

You see, I just have an English accent. I don't have an accent from any particular part of England such as Birmingham or London or Bristol (Thank God). However, because of this I have grown up with the word 'Posh' thrown at me all the time. You see, the way I see it, I am not posh. I speak nicely. What is so wrong with that? Parents spend their life time trying to teach there children to pronounce there T in WaTer and so on. So why, when a child does this (i.e. Me) do I get the finger pointed at me for being the 'posh girl'. To be honest, it used to bother me when I was younger but as I have grown up and matured I have realised how nice it is to speak well. I am so grateful to my mother for bringing me up the way she did.

A few weeks back I took Morten and Caroline to an adventure playground down the road. There was a group of lads there who must have only been a couple of years older then Morten, maybe 9 or 10. The language that was coming out of there mouth was repulsive, not to mention the trail of spit they left behind them. If my children ever turn out the way those kids are you can forget 'Super Nanny', 'Orphanage' will be more the word.

NB Just to add.. Just because I speak nicely doe not make me a snob.

1 comment:

MrsUndutchable said...

hey. I am reading your blog now for quite some time (abigail was/is my aupairfriend and i alway read inekes blog and now yours;))i came to hollands an aupair as well (im german) and made a lot of friends, but obviously they left again and i am still here and actually in the same positions as you are in now. I have my boyfriend and nice people around me, but no girlfriends to go out with..so, sicne i live in utrecht which is not too far away i thought i write you..so, if you ever feel like a beer (or coffee) let me know! (my email: k.schallenberg@gmail.com)