Monday 29 January 2007

My first day!!

Well.. what can i say!! Alles goed - just extremely tired!! So i arrived at Ineke and Robberts house yesterday (of course i have met them and the children several times before) so that wasn't too scary!!

I guess the best way of explaining my jam-packed two days is to talk you step by step on what we've done!! (i think possibly more than i have done in the last 4 months of being here!!)

Right. So i arrived yesterday at about 2.15, took my case up to my room and had a quick stop for a drink. Then Ineke makes an announcement that today is the day I will try out the bike buggy!! (yes - would make an interesting picture, unfortunately I don't have one) for those of you that don't know what one of these is, basically it's a bike with a little tent attached to the back for Caroline to sit in!! So once we get all the bikes (and the buggy) to the front of the house, the first step is to mount the humongous thing in front of me!! (also would make a good picture..) OK so were off.. after about 15 minutes of cycling we arrive at this little cafe where we stop for a drink and Bitterballen (well i had a spring role as i personally think Bitterballen is the most physically repulsive thing on this planet.) Anyway so we then come home, unpack have some food and sleep. Well, try to sleep. I took what seemed like forever to fall asleep, i think this was for a few reasons, the main being it was only 10.30 and i very rarely have lights out before 1, and, of course, there was a serious lack of Jack.

THEN. Just incase it didn't take me long enough to fall to sleep in the first place, I am woken up by this stoopid alarm clock that Abigail left in the room - AT FOUR-THIRTY AM.

OK, so today. Well I woke up at some ridiculous hour to be down stairs by 7.45am. we got the kids off to school and me and Ineke went for a walk around Beuklesdijk so I would get to know my way around, we then plodded (that ones for you Wendz!!) back to Inekes, where her and her sister made the most delicious Tiramusu EVER!! and then took to the road (well bike lane) into town. Now this trip was suppose to consist of a trip to the City Hall for my home registration and a search for a new Au Pair cellphone. Well, lets be honest, you can't go into Rotterdam without making a stop for a slice of the best Apple pie around!! (this also didn't happen as the waitress told us the seats we were sitting in were purposefully for those who were eating lunch - not just apple pie, therefore, of course we had to have food!! which turns out to be fantastic may i just add!! i had a brie, apple and honey ciabatta and then no room for pie!!) anyway so then we went to the City Hall, luckily there was no queue.. I am now an official resident of the Netherlands!! Had no time for shopping before we headed back home to pick up the kids, where we then had to go on a 20 minute bike ride to judo, wait an hour and half for them to finish, cycle back, prepare dinner, eat and sleep!!

So. That was my first day. All in all, i'd say it went pretty well!!

Tot Morgen!

1 comment:

y.Wendy.y said...

Action packed! That sarnie sounds excellent I am watering and dripping over my keyboard.

btw - plodding is okay! It's padding that gets my goat.